Choosing a major

Have you completed your WQB requirements? 

You are required to complete at least one Writing course and one Quantitative course with a grade of C- or higher before completing 60 units. The rest of your WQB requirements must be completed before you graduate.

Selecting a major 

It is common for students to be undeclared even when they have exceeded 60 units. However, in the interest of graduating in a timely manner, we recommend that you declare a major by the middle of your second year at the latest.

Go to Degree planning to see all the available majors.

Once you have decided which major to declare, read the instructions below on how to declare a major.

Declaring a major 

Step 1: Complete the admission requirements for your chosen program. In some cases this may just be a matter of completing a specific set of courses; in others it may include satisfying a certain GPA requirement. Visit the Academic Calendar for specific requirements.

Step 2: If you are still unsure of the admission requirements for your chosen program, book an appointment with a general Academic Advisor to discuss them.

Step 3: Once you have completed the admission requirements for your chosen program, print out an advising transcript from the Student Information System (log in at ) and see the departmental advisor(s) for your program (go to the "Declared a major" tab for the contact list) in order to declare your major.

Once you have declared your major, all further course planning concerns should be directed to your departmental advisor.

Changing your major 

Changing your major program is not very different from declaring your major program. Follow the same steps as above to switch your program: complete admission requirements, see an Academic Advisor, and then speak to the departmental advisor. However, you will also need to get your new department advisor to deactivate you from your formerly declared program.

Learn more about programs that interest you 

Check back soon for upcoming events!

General academic advising vs departmental advising

If you have less than 60 units and your major is undeclared

} See general academic advising

If you have more than 60 units, or you were admitted directly into a major or specialization, please contact the appropriate departmental advising.

See departmental advising

Do you have questions about degree planning, program requirements, your personal, professional and educational goals? Our academic advisors can help you!
If you are a new student, consider preparing for your meeting with an academic advisor by completing University Prep first.